Problems with MimeDefang?

Fernando Gleiser fgleiser at cactus.fi.uba.ar
Mon Jul 21 12:37:25 PDT 2003

I'm having some probles runing Mimedefang on FreeBSD.

Here's my setup: P IV 1.7 GHz, 128MB RAM, 4.8_RELEASE, sendmail, and cyrus
imapd. The IMAP users are also Unix users. There are about 300 accounts in
the system.

I'm runing MIMEDefang 2.35, installed from the ports. All the ports
MIMEDefang depends on are up to date. I cvsuped ports-all last Friday
and purtupgraded all of them.

When two or three users try to send some medium to big sized mails
(1M or more, there are a 4M limit), the server drops to its knees.

I've tracked it to MIMEDefang eating all the available RAM, and thesystem
starts to swap badly.

I've seen it use up to 300M of the swap space, besides all the RAM it
can take, just for less than 10 messages which sum less than 25MB.
Obviously, there's something really wrong here. Does anybody know
what can I do to make it use less memory? or buying RAM is the only
way to go?

Thanks in advance.

				Fer