Using spamprobe on a FreeBSD System

Kris Kennaway kris at obsecurity.org
Mon Jul 21 06:15:19 PDT 2003

On Mon, Jul 21, 2003 at 06:30:49AM -0500, Martin McCormick wrote:
> 	I started to install spamprobe-0.8b and discovered that it
> needs something called BerkeleyDB.  The instructions tell one to get
> it from a place called sleepycat.com where it looks like one must buy
> berkeleyDB.

As others have explained, just install the port and everything will be
taken care of automatically.  However, I recommend using bogofilter
instead of spamprobe; the latter has VERY high resource demands, and
takes a long time to process messages.  bogofilter uses similar
techniques, but without the resource bloat.  Once you get it trained
up, it works very well on personal email accounts (it catches over 95%
of my spam).

Kris