VLAN limit?

Nils Vogels nivo+freebsd-questions at yuckfou.org
Mon Jul 21 06:13:45 PDT 2003

Hi list,

Currently I'm researching the maximum amount of possible VLANs for all kinds
of network devices and one of them is a FreeBSD box with an FXP card in it.

While the theorectical maximum is about 4096 VLAN's on one trunk, I've been
seeing that several vendors impose different limits.

Looking through the manpages and mailing lists, I couldn't really find if
FreeBSD imposes any limit on the amount of VLANs (=vlan interfaces) on a
physical interface and if so, how it does that and what the limit is..

Grtz,

Nils.

--
Simple guidelines to happiness: