Sendmail reject non-extant hosts? RFC1123

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Mon Jul 21 02:18:30 PDT 2003

On Mon, Jul 21, 2003 at 08:42:48AM +0200, Ruben de Groot wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 20, 2003 at 05:37:31PM -0500, Jack L. Stone typed:

> > >The way that sendmail(8) uses tcp wrappers is slightly different to
> > >most daemons.  Instead of outright refusing to connect (which would
> > >lead to the other side trying again every half hour or so for the next
> > >five days), it permits the remote side to connect and then issues a
> > >permanent reject code during the SMTP dialogue.
> > >
> > >Even without enabling tcp wrappers functionality, sendmail should
> > >still reject egregiously forged addresses.  You have to add
> > >
> > >    FEATURE(`accept_unresolvable_domains')dnl
> > >
> > >to your `hostname`.mc file to allow incoming mail from domains without
> > >either A or MX records registered in the DNS.
> > >
> > >	Cheers,
> > >
> > >	Matthew
> >
> > Matthew: Are you saying that the above 'FEATURE' should be used in addition
> > to Dan Nelson's suggestion for the adding of these local_rules...?
> > http://www.sendmail.org/~ca/email/chk-810.html#810UNRESOLVIP
>
> He is saying that the stock sendmail should allready have the behaviour
> you want. Only when you want to disable this behaviour (which you don't)
> you can add this FEATURE.
> Your link to sendmail.org is about an older version (8.10) of sendmail.
> What sendmail version are you using?
>
> > This is something I had been looking for & just yesterday made up a
> > procmail recipe to grab the forgeries specifically. I'm getting quite a few
> > of them here.

Dan's local ruleset goes further than the default that sendmail(8)
supplies -- by default, sendmail just checks that it can look up the
name part of the 'From' e-mail address as supplied in the SMTP dialog.

These local ruleset additions take the IP number of the connecting
host and checks that it can resolve that IP number into a hostname.
It rejects any e-mail if the other side can't be resolved.  That's
something that should be familiar to any users of FreeBSD mailing
lists, although the freebsd.org mailer doesn't use sendmail(8).

Basically, you don't want to use
FEATURE(`accept_unresolvable_domains').  I'm sorry if that was
confusing, but I was trying to make the point that the default
behaviour was pretty much what the OP wanted, and that you had to take
extraordinary steps to turn it off.  The local ruleset additions will
work anyhow.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Savill Way