Listening to a serial port

Malcolm Kay malcolm.kay at internode.on.net
Mon Jul 21 01:30:34 PDT 2003

On Mon, 21 Jul 2003 06:44, Troy Settle wrote:
> All,
>
> How can I configure the serial port to listen at 1200 baud, 8N2,
> XON/XOFF?
>
> I try using stty to set the port speed, but it doesn't take.  I also
> don't see how to set the stop bits.
>
> Any help is appreciated.

It's not altogether clear what you are trying to do.
If you want to run a login session on the port then look at
Ryan Merrick's response.

If you want to use it as a simple port say /dev/cuaa0 then
stty only works after the port is allocated. Try setting instead
/dev/cuaia0 using stty. This sets the defaults for the /dev/cuaa0
port which take effect when the port is opened unless over ridden
by the software attached to the port.

Malcolm Kay.