X screen.

Stephen Hilton nospam at hiltonbsd.com
Sat Jul 19 19:04:35 PDT 2003

On Sat, 19 Jul 2003 21:29:26 +0100
Matthew Seaman <m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk> wrote:

> On Sat, Jul 19, 2003 at 08:04:14PM +0100, lewiz wrote:
>
> >   Just a quick question:  is it possible to ``screen'' an X application
> > the same way I can a console application?  I have heard people using VNC
> > for something similar (I think).  Any suggestions?  This would also be
> > really great if I could then ``resume'' it on a different X box too ;)
>
> If you install VNC and run a vnc-server session containing your X
> application, you can connect to it via vnc-client, disconnect,
> reconnect, even connect from a different machine.  The main VNC port
> is in net/vnc (http://www.realvnc.com/), but there are any number of
> other VNC related programs in ports.

I recently looked into this and came upon:

http://xf4vnc.sourceforge.net/

Have not tried xf4vnc out yet, but will this week. The latest beta
version (4.3.0.100) seems the most promising.

This attaches VNC to your "0" display through an XFree module so
behavior is similar to the way VNC works on a windows system.
Many potential uses, including remote support for Mum on her
FreeBSD/Gnome2 desktop :-)

Anyone else out there using the beta and have any comments?

Regards,

Stephen Hilton
nospam at hiltonbsd.com