Changing gtk application fonts outside of gnome

Holger Bauer bauer.holger at gmx.de
Sat Jul 19 18:16:02 PDT 2003

On Sat, 19 Jul 2003 15:52:04 +0100
Phil Payne <phil at sal-n-phil.net> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm running FreeBSD 4-stable, XFree86 4.30 & windowmaker 0.80.2.
> Default resolution and bitdepth is 1280x1024x24.
>
> Whenever I start GTK based apps (e.g. evolution, pan) I'm finding the
> application font size is too small to be readable. I've had a search
> through the mail archives and googled but I can't find anything
> explaining...
>
> ... how to change the default font for GTK apps outside of a gnome
> environment.
>
> Does anyone know if/how this can be done easily?
>
> I mean... I could lower the resolution but that feels a little
> defeatist.
>
> Please include me personally on the reply as I won't be receiving the
> list email for a while.
>
> Thanks,
> Phil.

Hi,

put some lines like these in your $HOME/.gtkrc for gtk1
style "user-font"
{
  font="-bitstream-bitstream vera
serif-medium-r-normal-*-*-100-*-*-p-*-iso8859-15"
}
and in $HOME/.gtkrc-2.0 for gtk2
style "user-font"
{
  font_name="Bitstream Charter 14"
}
I also recommend you have a look at gtk-theme-switch in ports, which
lets you adjust gtk-themes/fonts easily. The gtk2-version wasn't in
ports last time I checked, but you can easily compile it yourself.

Holger