FreeBSD 5.1 -RELEASE: unknown option "MAXUSERS"

Stephen Bader steveb at mercury.jorsm.com
Sat Jul 19 09:21:10 PDT 2003

Don't know how much this applies, but I had the exact same error on 4.8
when trying to build the kernel. I would cd /usr/src and execute 'make
buildkernel KERNCONF=CUSTOM' and it would come back with the 'unknown
option MAXUSERS' error.

I discovered that it was my symlink from /usr/src/sys/i386/conf ->
/root/conf that was causing the problem. When I changed the symlink so it
was /usr/src/sys/i386/conf/CUSTOM -> /root/conf/CUSTOM, the buildkernel
worked.

Not sure if this will help, but it is a thought! Oh, and I would get the
same error when buidling GENERIC because it was in /root/conf, and was
just a symlink.

-Steve

Stephen Bader                  JORSM Internet, Regional Internet Services
Systems Administrator          7 Area Codes in Chicagoland and NW Indiana
steveb at jorsm.com               100Mbps+ Connectivity, 56K-DS3, V.90, ISDN
(219) 322-2180                 Quality Service, Affordable Prices
http://www.jorsm.com           Serving Gov, Biz, Indivds Since 1995