Strange Printing Problems

Leonard Chung leonardc at uclink4.berkeley.edu
Thu Jul 17 22:09:29 PDT 2003

Hi,

I've got a small network with a few Windows XP machines. I'm running into a
problem where I can can print but others cannot. For me, everything works
great and as expected. However, for the others, they seem to have
intermittent problems where Samba complains with multiple lines such as the
following:

Jul 17 22:02:37 chung smbd[472]: [2003/07/17 22:02:37, 0]
rpc_client/cli_spoolss_notify.c:spoolss_connect_to_client(91)
Jul 17 22:02:37 chung smbd[472]:   connect_to_client: unable to connect to
SMB server on machine ZEUS. Error was : SUCCESS - 0.

Does anybody have any idea what is going on? The client machines are all
Windows XP Pro. The printer is being driven by CUPS and the test pages print
fine from both the CUPS administrative interface and my Windows test pages
go through fine. The only difference between myself and the other users on
this unix box is that my account is part of the wheel group.

Here's my smb.conf file:

# Samba config file created using SWAT
# from 10.0.1.239 (10.0.1.239)
# Date: 2003/07/16 18:41:23

# Global parameters
[global]
        netbios name = CAMELLIA
        server string = Samba Server
        encrypt passwords = Yes
        lanman auth = No
        printing = cups
        printcap name = cups
        load printers = yes

[printers]
        comment = All Printers
        path = /var/spool/samba
        printable = yes
        printer admin = root, @printadmins

Here's my cups printers.conf file:

# Printer configuration file for CUPS v1.1.18
# Written by cupsd on Thu Jul 17 01:40:14 2003
<DefaultPrinter e210>
Info Lexmark E210 on USB
Location SF Home
DeviceURI usb:/dev/ulpt0