KDE process is unkillable

daniela5743 at gmx.net daniela5743 at gmx.net
Wed Jul 16 15:30:50 PDT 2003

> On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 daniela5743 at gmx.net wrote:
>
> > I don't have NVIDIA drivers. Is there any known bug in the
> > ATI Radeon driver?
> >
> > I rebooted, and all I have is the saved output from fstat,
> > no core dump. Is this enough to find out what was wrong?
> > Can I reproduce it under controlled circumstances?
>
> You said the process was marked as stuck waiting for disk activity. Do
> you have any network-mounted (or other unusual) filesystems on this
> machine?

I have a NFS server, but there were no connections at this time.
KDE sends stuff on port 111 via the loopback interface, but I don't really
know what it is doing.

> If a processes wedges in the middle of a kernel call, then you won't be
> able to kill it - the behaviour you've seen here.

This may be a dumb question, but why the hell did the process use up all
the CPU time while it was waiting?

I tried attaching to it with gdb and with truss, but I got no information.
I guess it is some kind of overflow, that caused the process to execute one
instruction repeatedly (only guessed, I'm not an expert).

If it is an overflow, the cause must be in the environment. KDE was just
starting up, it did what it always does on startup.