learning PHP - book idea?

Jez Hancock jez.hancock at munk.nu
Wed Jul 16 12:43:19 PDT 2003

On Wed, Jul 16, 2003 at 03:28:18PM -0400, Bob Hall wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 16, 2003 at 10:57:02AM +0100, Jez Hancock wrote:
> > If you already have the basics down, a good intermediate level book is:
> >
> > PHP Developer's Cookbook, Sterling Hughes, SAMS
>
> I own a copy of that book, and it's terrible. My recommendation is
> to avoid it. I tried to use it a few months ago when I was doing
> extensive work on a site, and everything I tried to use from the book
> was buggy. In some cases, the bugs were obvious and easily fixed, but
> in other cases, they weren't obvious and took time and effort to fix.
> On the other hand, I've had no problems with OReily's PHP cookbook.
In support of the author, he does answer emails very rapidly.  In my
experience the majority of the recipes worked perfectly.  There was one
specific PEAR class example (Net CURL iirc) which he'd added in the book
but at the time hadn't actually released into the PEAR CVS repo.  Oops ;/

YMMV
--
Jez

http://www.munk.nu/