learning PHP - book idea?

Bob Hall rjhalljr at starpower.net
Wed Jul 16 12:28:22 PDT 2003

On Wed, Jul 16, 2003 at 10:57:02AM +0100, Jez Hancock wrote:
> If you already have the basics down, a good intermediate level book is:
>
> PHP Developer's Cookbook, Sterling Hughes, SAMS

I own a copy of that book, and it's terrible. My recommendation is
to avoid it. I tried to use it a few months ago when I was doing
extensive work on a site, and everything I tried to use from the book
was buggy. In some cases, the bugs were obvious and easily fixed, but
in other cases, they weren't obvious and took time and effort to fix.
On the other hand, I've had no problems with OReily's PHP cookbook.

My primary reference for PHP is WROX's Professional PHP Programming.
I've been using it off and on (I don't use PHP on a regular basis)
for about three years, and been very happy with it.

Bob Hall