postfix freebsd port with vda patch

Simon Barner barner at in.tum.de
Tue Jul 15 13:33:14 PDT 2003

Hi Alfonso,

please avoid top-postings - thanks.

> > You can easyly do it yourself. CVSup your ports collection to get the
> > latest postfix port, then run 'make patch' and select the desired
> > options (sasl, ...).

[...]

> Thanks for your advice, it worked without any problems.
>
> I tested it on a spare FreeBSD server. Now I want to update and patch
> postfix on my production server. Is there a way I could do that without
> having to shut off my production server for too much time?

Depending on whether you have the ports collection on your production
server, you can do the following:

- build postfix with the vda patch as in the previous mail.
- ensure you have sysutils/portupgrade on your system
- stop the postfix system
- portupgrade --noclean postfix_<your old postfix version>
- start the postfix mail system

The port will take care not to overwrite the modfied configuration
files, but could can back them up if you want to be extra safe.

The other possibility is to build a package on your spare machine, copy
it to your server and use pkg_update(1) for the installation.
Disclaimer: I have never done this, I don't now what will happen with
your configuration files.

Another point is whether you want to update the dependencies of postfix
to their latest versions - this might also break something, but if you
have done your tests with the desired configuration, and everything
worked as exspected, there shouldn't be any problem.

You can use 'portupgrade -Rn postfix_<...>' to find out which ports need to be upgraded.
Depending on that information you should back up the according data and
configuration files. Now you can use 'portupgrade -R -x "postfix_<...>"
to update postfix's dependencies (without touching postfix itself). You
should be able to do that before stopping the postfix server - but I
don't know the exact setup of your mail system, but I hope this mail
gave you an idea what to take care of.

Regards,
 Simon