Problems with Samba shared files

Joel Rees joel at alpsgiken.gr.jp
Mon Jul 14 19:27:20 PDT 2003

> > >The tail -f works fine, but the application on the Windows side that should
> > >be appending data to this file (think syslog like functionality) pops up an
> > >error message about not being able to write to the file.
> > >
> > >I've mounted the share as read only,
> >
> > Um, why are you expecting the Windows application to be able to append to a
> > file on a read-only Samba share?
> >
> The Samba filesystem is ON the windows box. it's whatever FS os on that
> machine. I'm just mounting it via Samab. So, the read only semantics apply
> to the FreeBSD side only.

Hmm. I would either think it a bug for Samba to be unable to tell
MSWindows that it had a file open for read, or a rather advanced
technique for Samba to be able to understand from simply mounting the
share as read-only that it could let MSWindows forego a lock on a
multiply opened file.

Mayb I'm just confused.

--
Joel Rees, programmer, Kansai Systems Group
Altech Corporation (Alpsgiken), Osaka, Japan