dhclient filling up my logfile. Help needed. < Solved >

Hasse webmaster at swedehost.com
Sun Jul 13 11:50:31 PDT 2003

On Sunday 13 July 2003 15.35, Lowell Gilbert wrote:
> Hasse <webmaster at swedehost.com> writes:
> > Running FreeBSD 4.8, all files are up to date, cvsuped yesterday, and I'm
> > connected to the net via ADSL. Dynamic IP, but hardly ever change.
> > dhclient is filling up my /var/log/messages.
> > Every 10th minute it makes a new request and logging it.
>
> That's a pretty annoying ISP you've got there.
>
> > I've tried to request a longer lease time in my dhclient.conf without any
> > luck, and I've tried to get it to log to another logfile named dhclient,
> > resulting in it logging to two files. dhclient and /var/log/messages.
>
> Yep, that's what the !dhclient syntax is for...
>
> > I've tried to talk to my ISP about this problem, without any luck.
> > I think most of the computers connected to this network are win-boxes,
> > and they don't seem to have this problem. ( Don't log this kind of info )
>
> Right.  The ISP is trying to be able to make major changes to their
> network without needing to plan ahead for it.
>
> > How can I keep the program from logging all this info ?
> > Not really a problem, but very annoying.
>
> What I did was to put all of the user.notice messages into a separate
> file from the main log.
>
> *.notice;authpriv.none;kern.debug;lpr.info;mail.crit;news.err;user.warning
>/var/log/messages user.notice 					/var/log/user.messages
>
> Remember to create user.messages first, and to set up some log
> rotation for it.
Thx a lot Lowell.
That did the trick.
I've been reading man-pages and googling to my eyes was bleeding,
but couldn't get this one to play along.
Found the same problem in the FreeBSD mailarchive, searching for
" dhclient too verbose " , but no solution.
I'm very satisfied with this way to solve it, cause I won't miss any
important loginfo.

Best regards
Geir Svalland.