Question on /etc/make.conf for upgrade to 4.8R

lewiz purple at lewiz.info
Sun Jul 13 04:36:01 PDT 2003

On Sun, Jul 13, 2003 at 02:52:41AM -0700, Lin Jianfong wrote:
> I'm wondering about this group of options :
>
> # To avoid building various parts of the base system:
> #NO_CVS=  true  # do not build CVS
> #NO_BIND= true  # do not build BIND
> #NOSHARE= true  # do not go into the share subdir
> #NOUUCP=  true  # do not build uucp related programs
>
> Aren't some of the parts of the base system supposed to be upgraded along,
> such as tcsh, bind, cvs, lpr, etc or are they not really part of the base
> system ? I'm planning to upgrade a 4.7 box to 4.8.

Yes.  As I understand it, however, you can still not build some of them,
which would be useful if you're not using that service.  For example:
many people won't be using BIND on their box.  Some people use bash, or
korn shells and therefore csh/tcsh are redundant.

  Hope that helps,

-lewiz.

--
"There are two ways of disliking poetry; one way is to dislike it, the
other is to read Pope."