SSL certificates and IE

Augusto Jun Devegili freebsd at devegili.org
Sat Jul 12 22:14:52 PDT 2003

Considering you won't buy a certificate from a trusted CA, you might
tell your users to install your CA certificate or your Web server
certificate by providing a link to these certificates: IE will download
them, ask the user if he/she trust them and put them in the trusted
certificate store.

Alternatively, when a user connects to an SSL Web server and IE doesn't
trust the certificate, there's an option in the dialog box which allows
for the certificate installation in the trusted certificate store.

Anyway, you won't be able to change your certificate so that your users
access your SSL Web server without some sort of warning... unless you
buy a certificate from some (IE) trusted CA, such as Verisign.