Expanding a Vinum RAID-5 array

Tillman tillman at seekingfire.com
Sat Jul 12 19:46:18 PDT 2003

On Sat, Jul 12, 2003 at 06:29:25PM -0700, Bill Campbell wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 13, 2003 at 09:36:29AM +0930, Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:
> >On Sunday, 13 July 2003 at  0:07:04 +0200, Joachim Dagerot wrote:
> >> Do anyone know other (read hardware) RAID-systems that are known to
> >> work well with freeBSD and also allows me to increase the total
> >> diskspace without dataloss?
> >
> >I don't.
>
> The problem isn't the RAID system, but the UFS file system which doesn't
> allow expansion.  Vinum's ``concat'' mode allows one to add capacity, but
> not to expand the size of existing file systems.
>
> Are there any file systems that work with FreeBSD that allow expansion
> after the fact?

Is there something about grows(8) that I'm missing? It's entirely
possible that I've missed the context or something, but I'm grown
UFS filesystems (on vinum concat's, actually) several times wih great
success.

-T

--
Behold, O Man, you can create life.  You can destroy life.  But, lo, you have
no choice but to experience life.  And therein lies both your greatest strength