Mail server (was: no subject)

Joshua Oreman oremanj at webserver.get-linux.org
Fri Jul 11 19:22:21 PDT 2003

On Fri, Jul 11, 2003 at 09:05:05PM -0500 or thereabouts, Chris wrote:
> I would like to do a mail server. Please uggest a safe, secure way of doint
> mail via smtp and pop. I don't want to use any sorta webmail.

You have 4 big choices as far as SMTP goes:

1) sendmail.
   The ubiquitous MTA; included w/FreeBSD; somewhat difficult to configure
   (though *much* better now than it once was); notoriously insecure (though
   still quite good), quite reliable.

2) Postfix.
   In ports; good alternative to Sendmail; probably the second most common
   MTA; simple to configure; secure but not bulletproof; reliable.

3) Exim.
   In ports; very similar to Sendmail (though much easier to configure);
   not as common as the others; secure but not bulletproof; reliable enough
   (I haven't used it, at least not for very long).

4) qmail.
   In ports; pretty much bulletproof (the author will give you $500 if you
   find an eexploitable hole); not much configuration to do; building it
   is a bit "different" (but the port helps you there); probably has the
   best support for the new Maildir format; quite unlike Sendmail in several
   ways; extremely reliable.

My favorites: qmail, then Postfix, then Sendmail, then Exim.
(I use qmail currently.)

For POP, you could either use qmail-pop3d or qpopper. I'm sure there are
others but those are good. (Note that qpopper 2.53 has some security bugs;
make sure you use at least 3.0).

-- Josh