*BSD is dying

Mykroft Holmes IV mykroft at explosive.mail.net
Fri Jul 11 07:41:04 PDT 2003

Thomas T. Veldhouse wrote:
> The fact that it is a moderated forum leads me to believe that the slashdot
> operators are themselves FreeBSD bigots.  I for one have much less respect
> for Slashdot for allowing that drivel through.
>
> Tom Veldhouse

Slashdot is a user moderated forum. Registered users periodically get
mod points, and they can then bump a particular post by +1 or -1 in the
comments section of any article they haven't posted a comment in, The
posts are rated on a scale of -1 to +5 and you can browse at at any
rating, browsing at 0 or +1 is common. The operators only determine what
articles are posted, not what the comments are, and the 'BSD is Dying'
troll is always a comment in a Unix related article. Note that the
slashdot operators are often accused of being pro-BSD and Pro-Mac
bigots, simply from the number of BSD and Mac articles they post.

Posts are almost never deleted (The only time I'm aware of that posts
may have been tinkered with involved a lawsuit from Microsoft).

While Slashdot has many faults, censorship is not one they practice.

Adam