FreeBSD lacks PPPoE (pppoa3 solution)

Peter Elsner peter at servplex.com
Thu Jul 10 13:19:13 PDT 2003

I don't know what version of FreeBSD you are using, but PPPoE
has been available on FreeBSD for quite some time.

A quick search on Google with "PPPoE on FreeBSD" pulled up dozens of
sites that show how-to's on PPPoE with FreeBSD.

Peter

At 09:06 PM 7/10/2003 +0000, you wrote:

>Hello to all,
>
>I'm using FreeBSD for almost 4 years and I will continue with it because
>I can't find better.
>
>I subscribed to a ADSL connection in Portugal that supports only PPPoE
>(and not PPPoA).
>
>Almost everyone in Portugal uses only 2 modems (supported by ISPs):
>Siemens Santis USB and Alcatel SpeedTouch 330 USB.
>
>Linux people has already support to Alcatel USB modems with PPPoE
>connections and FreeBSD still lacks of PPPoE support.
>
>I don't like Linux so, to solve my home network problem, I install a
>Windows machine to share the Internet (ooops!) across my LAN.
>
>The new Speedtouch 1.2 beta2 driver
>(http://speedtouch.sourceforge.net/index.php?/news.en.html),
>already support Bridging 1483 mode (PPPoE support) in pppoa3 but without
>use in FreeBSD.
>
>Please read the following thread to see some solutions for implementing
>PPPoE in FreeBSD.
>
>http://www.mail-archive.com/speedtouch@ml.free.fr/msg04514.html
>
>For what you can see in this thread:
>
>"...that  task is  simply a  matter of  two or  three #ifdefs  for  each
>BSD flavor, but nobody seems volunteering to accomplish it."
>
>I'm just a FreeBSD user not a programmer or hacker, so I can only help
>FreeBSD community asking you to try to implement PPPoE in FreeBSD so
>everyone uses it.
>

>Thanks very much for your great work,
>
>                 Nuno Teixeira
>
>--
>
>/*
>PGP fingerprint:
>C6D1 06ED EB54 A99C 6B14  6732 0A5D 810D 727D F6C6
>*/

Anything below this line, is considered a signature line.
If you do not know what a signature is within an email
STOP here and do not read any further.   Thank you.

Peter Elsner <peter at servplex.com>
Vice President Of Customer Service (And System Administrator)
1835 S. Carrier Parkway
Grand Prairie, Texas 75051
(972) 263-2080 - Voice
(972) 263-2082 - Fax
(972) 489-4838 - Cell Phone
(425) 988-8061 - eFax

I worry about my child and the Internet all the time, even though she's
too young to have logged on yet. Here's what I worry about. I worry
that 10 or 15 years from now, she will come to me and say "Daddy, where
were you when they took freedom of the press away from the Internet?"
-- Mike Godwin

Unix IS user friendly... It's just selective about who its friends are.

System Administration - It's a dirty job, but somebody said I had to do it.

If you receive something that says 'Send this to everyone you know,
pretend you don't know me.

Standard $500/message proofreading fee applies for UCE.
(NOTE: UCE is Unsolicited Commercial Email also known as
SPAM or junk mail).