[SAGE] FreeBSD 4.4-REL to FreeBSD 4.8-STABLE upgrade problem.

Joshua Oreman oremanj at webserver.get-linux.org
Thu Jul 10 09:57:39 PDT 2003

On Wed, Jul 09, 2003 at 08:53:02PM -0500 or thereabouts, Dustin Puryear wrote:
> Before reading below: I am considering a new install rather than an upgrade
> of our servers. However, now I just want to beat this problem. :)
>
> At 02:19 PM 7/8/2003 +0000, Phil Pennock wrote:
> >On 2003-07-08 at 14:09 +0000, Phil Pennock wrote:
> >> There was a fairly major update to the IDE disk device handlers which
> >> required new device nodes.  Bringing in the new MAKEDEV script and
> >> running that to create the disk devices will probably let you boot on
> >> the new kernel and try to repair things from there.
> >
> >Okay, I'll go get more coffee after sending this.  You noticed this one.
> >Sorry.
> >
> >There are two mergemaster steps, one which does the minimum needed to
> >let the rest of the build continue.
>
> Yes, I ran 'mergemaster -p' but found that it really only merged my passwd
> and group files with the new ones. Unless it did some other things behind
> the scenes then there is no fix here.

mergemaster -p -- run before installworld or (preferably) buildworld -- good.

> >The issue is, as you note, the device stuff.  As I said though, just
> >pull in MAKEDEV manually and run it.  That will fix this.  Either
> >"sh MAKEDEV all" or "sh MAKEDEV ad0" ...
>
> I keep thinking it's the device stuff myself, but even MAKEDEV didn't do
> the trick (interesting notes below this stuff):
>
> # cd /usr/src
> # make update
> # /usr/src/usr.sbin/mergemaster/mergemaster.sh -p
> # make buildworld
> # make buildkernel
> # make installkernel

You might have to installworld before rebooting -- I know I always do.

> # cd /etc
> # mv MAKEDEV MAKEDEV.old
> # cp /usr/src/etc/MAKEDEV .
> # sh MAKEDEV all

  # ls ad4s1* || sh MAKEDEV ad4s1

> # reboot
>
> Upon reboot I get my favorite lines:
>
> blah, blah
> blah, blah
> ar0: ... <ATA RAID1 array> [...] status: READY subdisks:
>  0 READY ad4: ... at ata2-master UDMA100
>  1 READY ad6: ... at ata3-master UDMA100
> acd0: CDROM ... at ata0-master PIO4
> Mounting root from ufs:/dev/ad4s1a
> Root mount failed: 16
>
> Manual root filesystem specification:
> blah, blah

According to intro(2), error 16 is EBUSY ("Device busy").

I think the kernel is not letting you use a device in the RAID.
After all, it says subdisks:
  ad4
  ad6
and you're trying to boot from ad4. Could that be it?

HTH,
-- Josh

...snip...