Question regarding new Nvidia FreeBSD drivers

Daniel Bye dan at slightlystrange.org
Tue Jul 8 10:22:57 PDT 2003

On Tue, Jul 08, 2003 at 10:51:40AM +0200, Nelis Lamprecht wrote:
> Hi List,
>
> I have been using the Nvidia beta drivers for some time now ( version
> 1.0-3203 ) flawlessly without any problems, well except for one or 2
> problems with Xscreensaver and OpenGL. Yesterday I tried loading the
> latest non-beta release 1.0-4365 and all it does is freeze my PC and
> then after a few seconds reboots without so much as a single error in
> XFree86.log or messages.
> I am using the following card, taken from dmesg: nvidia0: <RIVA TNT2
> Model 64>
> I made the necessary changes to my XF86Config file ( see attached ) to
> include the "NV Agp" driver and also had to take out one or 2 items
> namely "pex5" and "xie" which worked fine with the beta drivers.
> Lastly, I then tried using the FreeBSD agp kernel option ( loaded via
> kldload ) and disabled the Nvidia agp driver but still my PC freezes and
> reboots.
>
> I have resorted back to using the beta drivers for the time being but
> was hoping that maybe someone has a solution to the problem I'm
> experiencing ? I also noticed that someone else has been experiencing
> this problem at
> http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=14 but there
> was no solution.
>
> Thanks and regards,
> Nelis
>
> New driver url: http://www.nvidia.com/view.asp?IO=freebsd_1.0-4365

I had very similar problems yesterday after a cvsup + buildworld on -STABLE.
After updating the nvidia-driver port, I then needed to remove the agp
driver from my kernel, and ensure that no FreeBSD agp module is loaded at
boot time (remove load_agp=yes from /boot/loader.conf).

Make sure your nvidia-driver port was built without the WITH_FREEBSD_AGP=YES
(the default is to not use it).

At this point, the machine should at least boot all the way without
panicking.  However, I still had problems - `startx' bombed out, but left
clues in the X error log file.

I also needed to change the BoardName entry in /etc/X11/XF86Config to match
the string in the log file.  This was the only alteration I needed.

According to the README's distributed with the driver, you should only use
one or other of the AGP drivers - the nVidia one often won't behave itself
if the FreeBSD one is compiled into your kernel or loaded as a module.

I found the README's very helpful - give 'em a glance.

HTH

Dan

--
Daniel Bye

PGP Key fingerprint: 3B9D 8BBB EB03 BA83 5DB4 3B88 86FC F03A 90A1 BE8F
                                                                     _
                                              ASCII ribbon campaign ( )
                                         - against HTML, vCards and  X
                                - proprietary attachments in e-mail / \