Changed ISP now can't get to websites / traceroute

Stacey Roberts stacey at vickiandstacey.com
Mon Jul 7 15:45:47 PDT 2003

Hello,
     Sorry about the delay..,

On Mon, 2003-07-07 at 22:03, Micheal Patterson wrote:
> > 14  * border-to-141-netrack.boulder.co.coop.net (207.174.144.178)  139.951
> ms !X *
> > > 15  border-to-141-netrack.boulder.co.coop.net (207.174.144.178)  136.281
> ms !X * *
> > > 16  border-to-141-netrack.boulder.co.coop.net (207.174.144.178)  159.470
> ms !X *  137.951 ms !X
> >
> > Note here that you don't appear to actually *get* to freebsdforums' IP:
>
> That's correct. !X is "Communications Administratively Prohibited" meaing
> they've got an ACL in place that explicitly denies access to the next hop in
> the trace. I can trace to that point and then my trace dies with simple
> timeouts instead of "prohibited". To me, that usually means that a firewall
> is active that is denying udp and icmp also.
>
> > >From nslookup for freebsdforums.org :
> > Non-authoritative answer:
> > Name:    freebsdforums.org
> > Address:  207.174.189.161
> >
> > I'm trying to force Zen to increase their efforts in doing whatever
> > they're able to do for me, but its a nightmare getting through to tech
> > support to even begin that process..,
>
> I'm not sure what Zen will be able to do as long as they're advertising that
> they're responsible for the network block that you've been assigned to.
> Although, they may be willing to contact the network powers that be for the
> networks that you can't traverse through due to lack of action on their
> part. Then again, it is the remote networks perogative to allow or disallow
> the traffic.
>
> > For now, I'm trying to google around for what I might need to do in
> > order that I can get traceroute to work for my *nix boxes here..,
>
> Good luck.

Thanks for the encouragement.., I've narrowed this down to the router I
purchased from Zen here.., I've basically turned off ipfw and I'm still
unable to even traceroute to the router itself..,

I've now emailed Zen tech support to see if they're gonna provide that
support they insisted they could only provide if I bought the router
from them - which I did.

Thanks again for taking the time.

Regards,

Stacey