Logging packets dropped by IPFW

Chuck Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Mon Jul 7 14:31:44 PDT 2003

Tim Kientzle wrote:
> Is there any way to generate log information
> about the packets dropped by IPFW?  The 'log'
> modifier doesn't seem to do anything on my
> system right now <sigh>, though from what I can tell,
> it's supposed to only log the rule that was
> triggered, which isn't the same thing at all.

Did you recompile your kernel with these options:

options IPFIREWALL_VERBOSE      #enable logging to syslogd(8)
options IPFIREWALL_FORWARD      #enable transparent proxy support
options IPFIREWALL_VERBOSE_LIMIT=100    #limit verbosity

...?  Also consider:

sysctl net.inet.tcp.log_in_vain=1
sysctl net.inet.udp.log_in_vain=1

--