post-installation problem

Bill Moran wmoran at potentialtech.com
Mon Jul 7 08:43:55 PDT 2003

Edouard Saksonov wrote:
> Hi,
> I have installed FreeBSD 4.0 on my PC
> I did boot from CDROM, but in the "Media" I had to put "DOS", cause my PC refuses
> to install everything from CDROM (may be not of supported type). So, I copied whole
> CDROM to C>/FREEBSD, and I used DOS partition for install. Everything went O.K.
> I configured and installed my new kernel, system did boot with no problem, but
> now, when I'd like to install something from Packges (like shells or less), I get only
> a message that it was impossible to find and get system distribution files.
> I tried to fetch packages and from DOS and from existing FreeBSD file system
> (I copied whole disk in /usr/FREEBSD), but it doesn't work.I can not install any program.

Did you read the ports section of the handbook?
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/ports.html

With something as old as FreeBSD 4.0, you're going to have trouble installing anything
not already on your CD, as that software is getting rather old.
You'll find the easiest way to install packages is to throw in your CD, run /stand/sysinstall
and choose CD-ROM as the media.  If your CD-ROM doesn't work at all under FreeBSD, you'll
have to find the .tgz file that contains the package you want and manually install it using
the pkg_add command.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies