getting sendmail to add Return-Path: header

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Fri Jul 4 12:05:10 PDT 2003

On Fri, Jul 04, 2003 at 11:19:57AM -0400, David Banning wrote:
> I need to have the Return-Path: header to added to my emails.
>
> Any idea what is needed to configure sendmail to do that?

sendmail that does final delivery -- it's not something you should set
on all of the e-mail you send out.  The machinery to handle all this
should already be in your sendmail.cf -- if there's a line:

    H?P?Return-Path: <$g>

in the 'Format of Headers' section, then any delivery mailer with 'P'
in the F= flags (which is the default for the local and prog mailers)
will insert the Return-Path: header -- eg.

    Mlocal,         P=/usr/libexec/mail.local, F=lsDFMAw5:/|@qPSXfmnz9, S=EnvFromSMTP/HdrFromL, R=EnvToL/HdrToL,
                                                             ^^^^
                    T=DNS/RFC822/SMTP,
                    A=mail.local -l

These are the default settings, and it would take sufficient effort to
generate a sendmail.cf without something like those in it that you
would surely remember doing so...

See http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc2821.html, section 4.4 for the chapter
and verse about the Return-Path: header.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Savill Way