Does FreeBSD supports my hardware?

Vulpes Velox kitbsdlists at HotPOP.com
Fri Jul 4 09:16:00 PDT 2003

Providing more detailed info on the machine would be of use... such as chipset and ect...

On Fri, 04 Jul 2003 10:52:45 +0100
Ruben Thoré <c_h_e_s_r_o_n-259 at mad.scientist.com> wrote:

>    Hi,
>
>    I'm interested in all unix-based OS's, so I'm now reading about
>    FreeBSD. I would like to install it, but I would like to know if it
>    will run (optimal) on my system.
>
>    My PC is a Packard Bell Imedia5800 TNT RW, with a 20 Gb  harddrive,
>    which is designed for WinME. My hardrive is split up in two FAT32
>    partitions:
>
>    "C:" = about 15 Gb, "D:" = about 4-5 Gb.

Neither of those should be a problem. I have 4 much larger drives in my server.

>    My Graphical card is a NVidia TNT2 Model64.

FreeBSD, just like linux and other unix clones, is not responsible for this for
the large part. This is handled by the X server. There is a bit handled by the
OS, but that is mainly the drm kernel module, which is needed for X to do some
things. This card is supported under X using the nv drivers and there are drivers
available from NVidia that will that may or may not work from that card.

>    I have a bit knowledge of Linux, so I know already something about
>    partitioning. But there were a few problems with this SuSE Linux 6.2.
>    First of all, the program Fdisk of SuSE gave me an error while
>    partitioning (I was creating a Linux Swap en Linux Native partition on
>    "D:"). It was something like this:
>
>    Your disk is setup to ..., there's nothing wrong with that, but it
>    could cause certain setup problems with software that runs while
>    booting, etc. ... It's recommend that you set the disk to 1024 (I
>    think) cilinders.

Sounds like something was done wrong when setting it up...

>    I hope you know what I mean, could this be also a problem while
>    installing FreeBSD. Another problem was my graphical card, which
>    wasn't supported yet, so I couldn't run KDE, etc. The third and last
>    serious problem was, when linux was installed (however, not correct),
>    that after I gave the command "shutdown ...", I couldn't close my PC!
>    Under Windows, if I want to shutdown my computer it does that
>    automatically. Maybe it has something to do with my BIOS settings, can
>    you help me if this could cause problems with FreeBSD?

FreeBSD should most likely work. BTW that gfx card should be supported by X. It
sounds like something was wack with the linux distro, which is not really
surprising.

BTW if you are thinking about using KDE, I would really suggest not and trying
some blackbox clone. Fluxbox is nice.