pcm on 5.1

Greg J. xcas at cox.net
Fri Jul 4 05:00:09 PDT 2003

On Thu, 3 Jul 2003 21:15:01 -0500
David Kelly <dkelly at HiWAAY.net> wrote:

> On Thursday 03 July 2003 07:01 pm, Kenneth Culver wrote:
> > On Thursday, July 3, 2003, at 07:58  PM, Laszlo Vagner wrote:
> > > I just updated to 5.1-r and was wondering how to add soundcard
> > > support to the
> > > kernel.?
> > >
> > > in 4.8 i just added 'device pcm' in my kernel config and recompiled
> > > but 5.1 is different
> > > and i dont want to do something to mess things up.
> > >
> > > dmesg follows.
> >
> > Just do what you've always done. Add device pcm to your kernel.
>
> I don't think its quite that easy, but its even easier now.
>
> % cd /usr/src/sys/i386/conf
> % grep -i pcm *
> GENERIC:# PCCARD (PCMCIA) support
> GENERIC:# Pcmcia and cardbus bridge support
> GRUMPY:# PCCARD (PCMCIA) support
> GRUMPY:# Pcmcia and cardbus bridge support
> NOTES:# pca: PCM audio through your PC speaker
> NOTES:# gp:  National Instruments AT-GPIB and AT-GPIB/TNT board, PCMCIA-GPIB
> OLDCARD:# PCCARD (PCMCIA) support
> OLDCARD:device          pcic            # PCMCIA bridge
>
> Does not appear to be a pcm device available for statically compiling
> into the kernel. But never mind as its available as a kld in
> /boot/kernel/

sure it still works.. I use device pcm for the hacked up audigy2 sound driver. :-) I've noticed a lot of things that aren't in either NOTES or GENERIC... like options TCP_DROP_SYNFIN.

--
"This is a test of the Emergency Broadcast System.  If this had been an
actual emergency, do you really think we'd stick around to tell you?"