Procmail Recipie For FreeBSD Lists? - SOLVED

Drew Tomlinson drew at mykitchentable.net
Thu Jul 3 16:53:24 PDT 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Paul Chvostek" <paul+fbsd at it.ca>
To: <freebsd-questions at freebsd.org>
Sent: Thursday, July 03, 2003 2:48 PM
Subject: Re: Procmail Recipie For FreeBSD Lists?

> On Thu, Jul 03, 2003 at 02:26:49PM -0700, Drew Tomlinson wrote:
> > >
> > >   :0
> > >   * ^List-Id:[^<]+<freebsd-\/[^.]+
> > >   FreeBSD/$MATCH/
> >
> > Thanks for pointing out my oversight and all of the help so far.
I've
> > added the "/" and now my recipe is:
> >
> > :0
> > * ^List-Id:[^<]+<freebsd-\/[^.]+
> > /Maildir/FreeBSD/$MATCH/
>
> You're storing your Maildir in the root directory of the server?
>
> > However I get these messages from the procmail log:
> >
> > procmail: Matched "test"
> > procmail: Match on "^List-Id:[^<]+<freebsd-\/[^.]+"
> > procmail: Unable to treat as directory "/Maildir/FreeBSD/test"
> > procmail: Assigning "LASTFOLDER=/Maildir/FreeBSD/test"
> > procmail: Opening "/Maildir/FreeBSD/test"
> > procmail: Error while writing to "/Maildir/FreeBSD/test"
>
> It looks as if procmail doesn't have permissions to create directories
> in the root directory of your server.  That's a Good Thing.
>
> > I've tried without the leading "/", without the Maildir, and without
> > "/Maildir/" but I keep getting the same type of error.  Maildir is
owned
> > by me and is mode 700.
>
> That's the right mode, but think about where the directory is, and
where
> procmail wants to find out.  Look in the procmail documentation
(manpage
> for procmailrc) for variables like $DEFAULT, $MAILDIR, $HOME, etc.
>
> > If the mailbox is specified  to  be an  MH  folder  or  maildir
folder,
> > procmail will create the necessary directories if they don't exist,
> > rather than treat  the  mailbox  as  a non-existent filename.
> >
> > I feel I am close.  Can anyone enlighten me and point out what I'm
> > missing?
>
> Remember that paths that start with a / are absolute, and all other
> paths are relative to $MAILDIR.

Thanks for all of your help.  I finally got it!  The directory structure
for Courier IMAP is Maildir equals INBOX.  So in the IMAP client
everything in $HOME/Maildir appears in the Inbox.  Then any folders in
the Inbox are stored in directories such as
$HOME/Maildir/.folder.subfolder.  In this case, the IMAP client Inbox
would show one folder named "folder".  Then in "folder" there would be
"subfolder".

So for me, I wanted questions list mail to get placed in
$HOME/Maildir/FreeBSD.questions, stable list mail in
$HOME/Maildir/FreeBSD.stable, etc.  Since $MAILDIR is already defined as
$HOME/Maildir, the correct recipe is as follows:

:0
* ^List-Id:[^<]+<freebsd-\/[^.]+
.FreeBSD.$MATCH/

It's amazing how much trouble a misplaced "." or "/" can cause!  :)
Thanks again.  I would not have figured this out without your help.

Drew