no /usr/src/etc/

John DeStefano deesto at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 3 11:46:35 PDT 2003

I was trying a 'mergemaster' as seen here but kept getting the following error:
cp: /usr/src/etc/master.passwd: No such file or directory
  *** FATAL ERROR: Cannot copy files to the temproot environment
I verified that this file indeed does not exist, then realized something else when
trying to 'cd' to /usr/src/etc/: the entire /usr/src/etc/ directory doesn't exist!
The only subdirectory of /usr/src/ is sys/conf/ .
Have I broken something???
'man' tells me all about 'master.passwd' but not how to regenerate it if it's missing
(including encrypted info).  Is the proper method as simple as the following:
# cp /etc/master.passwd /usr/src/etc/master.passwd
...or should I instead do this recursively:
# cp /etc/ /usr/src/etc/

Thanks,
~John

# uname -a