Should we accept this?

Brian Astill bastill at adam.com.au
Wed Jul 2 17:18:05 PDT 2003

I needed to replace my printer recently, so took the advice of
linuxprinting.org to choose the HP 6122 Deskjet (within my budget,
interfaces "perfectly", etc.)

Both my systems are dual boot, so I took the HP-supplied CD to set up
the printer and print a test page on my two WinNT4 systems. Took less
than 5 minutes and worked "perfectly" both times.  IE up-and-running in
"no time".

The procedure to install the printer in FBSD/Linux is:
1) Install hpijs
2) Install ghostscript-gnu
3) Install foomatic-db
4) Download foomatic-rip and install into /usr/local/bin
5) Install cups
6) Download DeskJet 6122 PPD from linuxprinting.org:
   http://www.linuxprinting.org/show_printer.cgi?recnum=HP-DeskJet_6122
7) Install as deskjet3.ppd in /usr/local/share/cups/model
8) Use CUP's administration tool on localhost:631 to modify the printer,
   selecting the "HP DeskJet 6122, Foomatic + hpijs (recommended)"
   driver.
9) Use CUP's administration tool on localhost:631 to configure the
   printer, turning on double-sided printing.

OK.  I hate Windoze with a passion and I'd prefer a plain text script
rather than a "secret" wizard, but which install is most suitable for
Joe User?

What could/should we do about it?

--
Regards,