sata versus ultra160 using 10k enterprise type drives

Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC chad at shire.net
Wed Jul 2 10:57:23 PDT 2003

I currently use an Adaptec 2100S and some Fujitsu 10K U160 drives.  I
am going to a new server (FBSD5) to run in parallel and eventually
replace my FBSD4 server using the adaptec.

I am looking at either a highpoint or promise SATA 4 channel raid
controller and the 36gb western digital raptor 10K enterprise sata
drives (not typical ata/sata type mechanisms).  It is much cheaper and
the drives have a similar performance and MTBF rating to the normal 10K
U160 drives.

I was wondering if anyone had any sort of comparison on performance in
a raid 1 or a raid 5 (4 drives) type configuration comparing a typical
U160 setup to the enterprise level SATA setup.

Server use is for web and email serving etc.

thanks
Chad