ssh keepalives

Steve Coile scoile at nandomedia.com
Wed Jul 2 04:42:19 PDT 2003

On Tue, 1 Jul 2003, Philip J. Koenig wrote:
> I'm having a problem with premature termination of ssh sessions after
> an idle period of a few minutes, getting a "connection reset by peer"
> message.  I presume this is due to intermediate stateful firewalls
> closing the connection when no traffic passes for a period of time.

Is this a common problem with firewalls?  We suffer from this problem
here, also, and I've thought it must be a misconfiguration with the
firewall or elsewhere in the netwrok.  But since you mentioend it,
I'm rethinking my assessment.

Can someone explain why these connections get dropped?

--
Steve Coile