FreeBSD and GRUB?

Henrik Hudson lists at rhavenn.net
Wed Jul 2 01:30:04 PDT 2003

Hey List-

I installed Grub from ports (cvsup'ed from tonight) and can't quite get her
working.

I am running 4.8rel.

I copied in the various *stage file into /boot/grub . I created a grub.conf
and sym-linked menu.lst to it and made everything 444.

My grub.conf looks like this:

default 0
timeout 5
splashimage=(hd0,2,a)/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz

title=FreeBSD
root (hd0,2,a)
kernel (hd0,2,a)/boot/loader

title=WinBlows_XP
rootnoverify (hd0,0)
makeactive
chainloader +1

I have run:
tcsh# grub
grub> root(hd0,2,a)
grub> setup(hd0)
grub> quit

It says it installed fine, etc.... However when I reboot I just get dropped to
the   grub>   prompt. So it's in the MBR.

I can then manually type:
grub> root (hd0,2,a)
grub> kernel (hd0,2,a)/boot/loader
grub> boot

and it works all fine and dandy. However I would like the menu to come up :)
Would the splashimage do that? In my experience, the Splash Image being
screwed up just causes it to use it's default text layout.

Thanks for any hints.

Henrik
--
Henrik Hudson
listsNO at SPAMrhavenn.net

"`If there's anything more important than my ego
around, I want it caught and shot now.'"
	--Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy