USB mouse/keyboard causes kernel panic during boot sequence

Michael E. Mercer mmercer at nc.rr.com
Tue Jul 1 09:19:35 PDT 2003

Hello peoples,

I have posted this before and unfortunately I still have this problem.
During the boot sequence, when it probes for the USB devices, it causes
a kernel panic (page fault) if there is either (or both) a USB mouse
and/or keyboard attached.

If I remove the mouse and keyboard and let it boot up, then connect
them, they work just fine.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Michael Mercer

mp_lock = 00000024; cpuid = 0; lapic.id = 00000000
fault virtual address = 0x4
fault code = supervisor read, page not present
instruction pointer = 0x8: 0xc02583c4
stack pointer       = 0x10: 0xc045fd20
frame pointer       = 0x10: 0xc045fd3c
code segment        = base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
                    = DPL 0, pres 1, def 32 1, gran 1
processor eflags    = interrupt enabled, resume, IOPC=0
current process     = 0(swapper)
interrupt mask      = none <- SMP: XXX
trap number         = 12
panic: page fault
mp_lock = 00000024; cpuid = 0; lapic.id = 00000000
Uptime - 0s