Using a RAID-card with FreeBSD

Tue Jul 1 08:33:06 PDT 2003

Hi all,

This might be kind of a newbie question - I apologize for that.

This is my first time I use a hardware RAID card on a server. I was
wondering if there are any issues with FreeBSD (4.8R) regarding these
cards? Will FreeBSD see the RAID1 as a single hard drive that I just
need to partition and label? And if I need to replace a failed hard
drive in the RAID array I assume the card will do the rebuilding of the
array while FreeBSD will function as normal even when I need to reboot
the machine?

I checked that the card I intended to use (Promise FastTrak TX2) is
supported by FreeBSD so I don't assume any problems installing FreeBSD
either.

Thanks for any answers :-)

--
Johan Paul