5.2 RC2: Semi-deterministic gcc segfault during buildworld

Peter Schuller peter.schuller at infidyne.com
Wed Dec 31 17:48:19 PST 2003

Hello,

I had just installed a fresh 5.2 RC2 system and cvsup:ed the latest source
(only 5-10 files changed; nothing related to this problem as far as I could
see). I wanted to add Coda client support. so I created a GENERIC derivative
configuration with Coda support added. I proceeded to compile as usual:

   make cleandir && make cleandir && make buildkernel KERNCONF=WHITESTAR

However every time I do this I encounter the exact same problem:

/usr/src/sys/dev/aic7xxx/aic79xx.c: In function `ahd_handle_scsiint':
/usr/src/sys/dev/aic7xxx/aic79xx.c:1719: internal compiler error: Segmentation
fault
Please submit a full bug report,
See <URL:http://gcc.gnu.org/bugs.html> for instructions.
*** Error code 1

Except for once when I got this instead:

/usr/src/sys/pci/if_dc.c: In function `dc_init':
/usr/src/sys/pci/if_dc.c:3593: internal compiler error: Segmentation fault
Please submit a full bug report,
See <URL:http://gcc.gnu.org/bugs.html> for instructions.
*** Error code 1

I've been running some memtests on the machine and so far no problems have
been reported. Besides I would expect memory related problems to be much more
random than the above.

The same hardware (minus a new disk) has been running FreeBSD 4.x without
problems for quite a while before this. I tried booting back into 4.9-RELEASE
to recompile the kernel - it completed successfully.

I have also tried some rudimentary write/read/md5sum tests on the disk used
for 5.2 to try to determine if there are random read errors on the drive
(which has happened to me before on one disk).

Has anyone seen this? Could it be a hardware problem in spite of the above?

PGP userID: 0xE9758B7D or 'Peter Schuller <peter.schuller at infidyne.com>'
Key retrieval: Send an E-Mail to getpgpkey at scode.org
E-Mail: peter.schuller at infidyne.com Web: http://www.scode.org