(2) rsh and rcp problems between Solaris and FreeBSD

horio shoichi bugsgrief at bugsgrief.net
Wed Dec 31 15:52:22 PST 2003

On Wed, 31 Dec 2003 10:20:23 -0500 (EST)
John Von Essen <essenz at bjork.quonix.net> wrote:
> One more thing. Apparently, if I do 'rsh -n host cmd' on the Solaris box,
> it no longer hangs, and I can do it back to back indefinitely. Say I do
> ten of them, 5 secs apart. I still see the following 10 times in netstat:

<snip>

> This doesn't affect rcp, so those are still slow. The only other thing is
> that I am going through a firewall, from an internal network to a dmz.
>

> -John

<snip>

A couple of comments:

o The rcp in stock FreeBSD has changed its behavior somewhere 4.7 - 4.9, to as
  you see it. It has been behaving more 'standard' way before. Self installing
  krb4 or heimdal from kth seems provides better rcp.

o How does the firewall treat backward connections ? (Ipfilter proxy ?)
  Depending on it, ports may not be properly 'diffused' (this again might
  be due to 'odd' rcp, though). As far as I can tell, rcp with said makes
  on both ends over ipfilter with r-* proxy works well (not very well,
  unfortunately).

  Closely watching FreeBSD's rcp behaviors at the connections would reveal
  something more.

horio shoichi