hard drive test

stan stanb at panix.com
Wed Dec 31 08:41:44 PST 2003

On Tue, Dec 30, 2003 at 08:17:50PM -0700, David Bear wrote:
> i just installed 4.9-rel.  after having the system on for about two
> hours I got a console message that device ad0 had timed out.  then the
> system froze.
>
> after a reboot (power off then on) the systems has been working fine.
>
> The HD is standard seagate barracuda ATA drive (30 gig). I am using
> an ata100 cable.
>
> now I'm nervous.  don't know why the drive would have had the error.
> Are there any freebsd utils that I can use to test the drive?

You can download a test utility from the (Formely iBM) Hitchi Global
Storage site. I t works on all the SMART compatible drives (pretty much all
the drives sold in the last year or 2) that I;ve tried it on.

I did have one drive that FreebSD was complaining about that repeatedly
passed the tests from this, but I finally got it to show errorson teh
excersiser in it.

SMART monitoring tools are a HUGE help, but AFAIK only supported in 5.x for
FreeBSD.

neither liberty nor safety."
						-- Benjamin Franklin