ports & package names changing?

fbsd_user fbsd_user at a1poweruser.com
Wed Dec 31 05:30:48 PST 2003

Your missing the whole point.

The FBSD handbook says to use
http://www.freebsd.org/ports/index.html  to find port and package
names and it only shows the names with  versions suffix appended to
the names.
Pkg_add -r  points to directory location with out names with
versions suffix appended.

>From user view point,  pkg_add -r  does not work because user is
entering name with version suffix appended as they are led to
believe is the correct name as instructed by the FBSD handbook.

The user doesn't know about or cares about what 'Latest' contains.
All they know is, they can not get pkg_add to work as instructed by
the handbook.

That's the big problem.

The  'Latest' category needs to be populated with names having the
version suffix  appended.