djbdns

Ion-Mihai Tetcu itetcu at apropo.ro
Tue Dec 30 14:48:13 PST 2003

On Tue, 30 Dec 2003 10:53:20 +0000
Peter Risdon <peter at circlesquared.com> wrote:

> Ion-Mihai Tetcu wrote:
>
> >Take a look at /usr/local/etc/rc.d/svscan.sh.sample
> >
> >1. SVDIR=/var/service/ - so svscan will look at /var/service and not
> >/service; either do:
> >a) what is suggested and use /var/services (e.g. ln -s /etc/dnscache
> >/var/service) or
> >b) change SVDIR=/var/service/ to SVDIR=/service/
> >
> >I would use a); also note that creating the log file in /etc/dnscache
> >is IMHO a bad idea.
> >

> I'm not disagreeing, but the original post complained of something
> being wrong in some documentation.

Yes, the idea of logging to / is bad at least for 2 reasons: filling up
/, which is usually small and, in case of a crash, increasing the
chances to have a trashed /

> Most reference and tutorial pages for
> djbdns and other djb stuff like qmail assume a /service directory,
> rather than /var/service.

I've always loved the explanation "Portability. With /service, your
program works the same way on every system: Linux, BSD, Solaris, etc."
(http://cr.yp.to/daemontools/faq/create.html#run); using this logic
every program should install in his own directory in /

> Using /var/service does seem more logical, but
> can be a source of confusion, especially if people are copying and
> pasting commands from online instructions, something the various
> references often suggest.

Perhaps I should suggest to the maintainer adding a pkg-message saying
that, by default, we're using /var/services ?

> >2.
> ># cp /usr/local/etc/rc.d/svscan.sh.sample
> >/usr/local/etc/rc.d/svscan.sh# /usr/local/etc/rc.d/svscan.sh start
> ># svstatus /var/services/dnscache
> ># svstatus /var/services/dnscache/log
> ># dnsip www.freebsd.org
> >

> Shouldn't it be: