snd_maestro3.ko load/unload

Tim Kellers timothyk at wallnet.com
Tue Dec 30 09:31:13 PST 2003

FreeBSD 10.0.1.8 4.9-STABLE FreeBSD 4.9-STABLE #0: Mon Dec 29 15:59:28 EST
2003     root at 10.0.1.8:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/PORCINUS  i386

Hardware: Dell Latitude c800 laptop

soundcard (from BIOS): maestro3

If I load snd_maestro3.ko from loader.conf (snd_pcm.ko is auto-loaded along
with it), I get no sound in CLI or X --no beeps no anything.

If I don't load anything from loader.conf, I get keyclicks (enabled in BIOS),
but no ^G beeps in CLI or X.

If I don't load anything from loader.conf, then kldload snd_maestro3.ko, then
kldunload snd_maestro3.ko, then kldload snd_maestro3.ko again, keyclicks, ^G
beeps and full stereo sound works in X.

I've built (and rebuilt) ther kernel with device pcm, without device pcm --
the method described above works with no device pcm.

I can make sound work by scripting the load/unload/reload process as
zzz.maestro.sh and placing it in /usr/local/etc/rc.d.

Has anyone experienced anything similar, or does anyone have any ideas what
might be going on?

I don't have this problem with 4.9_STABLE or 5.2-CURRENT on Dell C600
latitudes --they use the same maestro3 card.

Tim Kellers
CPE/NJIT