Websites inside jails - backing up

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Mon Dec 29 11:54:42 PST 2003

On Mon, Dec 29, 2003 at 11:44:15AM -0600, Chris wrote:

> But what about when the site is within a jail? I notice I can get to /path/to/jail/path/to/htdocs, so can I similarly just copy the appropriate files/directories for backup purposes? Or is there something magical about being "inside" the jail that makes this difficult or improper?

Your base environment will be able to access the contents of all of
your jails no problem.  Shouldn't be any problems making backups.  The
only possible problem I can think of that you might run into is if you
have UIDs in the jail(8) that don't exist in the base system, but
you'ld have to choose a pretty incompetent backup system if it
couldn't cope with that.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Savill Way