Fwd: Re: Please help. Can't see HD

Malcolm Kay malcolm.kay at internode.on.net
Sun Dec 28 19:57:06 PST 2003

On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 13:29, Francisco Reyes wrote:
> On Sun, 28 Dec 2003 20:54:06 -0500, Francisco Reyes wrote:
> >Is there a way to recover the label info? I don't know if the HD
> >is dying or whether the filesystem/HD boot sector is messed up.
>
> More info..
> When starting /stand/sysinstall it shows:
> ad2: raw partition size != slice size
> ad2: start 0, end 78168359, size 78165360
> ad2c: start 0, end 10239, size 10240
>
> This after upgrading to 4.9 stable as of 12-29-2003.
> The other thing I did today which I don't know if is related. I
> enabled USB today and was writing to a CF card in preparation to
> install M0n0wall on a soekris machine. After installing USB
> support and seen the card I did:
>
> gzcat net45xx-pbxrxxx.img | dd of=/dev/rad[n] bs=16k

This is likely your problem source!!!

/dev/rad[n] is an alias of /dev/ad[n]; that is it refers to IDE drive n.
(Historically they had somewhat different meanings but even then still
refered to the same physical device -- the 'r' means raw)

If n was 2 you have over written the beginning of ad2.

> Where the xxx were the version for the image and [n] was 1...
> /dev/rad1 (or was it.. 0..). Isn't that the CF card writer? I
> got the number after looking at camcontrol and usbdevs (can't
> remember which one from)... Did I messed up the drive when
> writing that image?

The scsii / usb devices appear under names such as da[n] or rda[n].

Yes; I think you did.

Likely you will need to reconfigure your drive and
reinstall from your backup.

Malcolm Kay