missing /usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1 ... not found

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Sun Dec 28 01:32:20 PST 2003

On Sat, Dec 27, 2003 at 05:53:30PM -0500, Peter Leftwich wrote:
> On Sat, 27 Dec 2003, Matthew Seaman wrote:
> > On Sat, Dec 27, 2003 at 12:34:17AM -0500, Peter Leftwich wrote:
> > > The problem I now have is that I would like to mount_msdos a regular floppy
> > > then copy ("cp" or "cpio?") a file from it called ld-elf.so.1 to the
> > > mounted partition which contains FreeBSD 4.7-RELEASE on my hard disk.
> > > Typing just "mount" is not found.  Oddly enough, typing "help" or "cd /bin"
> > > then "./help" says "Permission denied."  I cannot locate a "mount" binary,
> > > however, I found "mount_nfs" and "mount_mfs" so would either of those work
> > > for mounting both an msdos floppy then my 4.7 partition?  Then must I use
> > > cpio to copy "A:\ld-elf.so.1" over to the 4.7 partition??
> >
> > You can write the file direct to the floppy device /dev/fd0 as if it
> > was a tape.  No need to mount any sort of filesystem.  Since you have
> > cpio(1) available use:
> >     # cd /usr/libexec
>
> Now, will the command above change to my live system's /usr/libexec
> directory, or a "pretend" one that exists only in RAM (ie. the way that the
> emergency holographic shell exists in a "/ramdisk" if you will)?

This is assuming that you have another FreeBSD box which works
properly, and that you can copy the ld-elf.so.1 file from.  The
intention is that you use a different floppy than the ones you use to
boot from, and swap them in and out as required.

> >     # echo ./ld-elf.so.1 | cpio -o > /dev/fd0
>
> When you say "write the file direct" do you mean that my system's "/" root
> directory may also be directly written to, without having to first mount it??!

Not like this: writing direct to a block device like this will destroy
any filesystem already on the device.  That's generally not what you
want, but it can be permissible in extremis to trash some floppy
disks...

> > Then to extract the file:
> >     # cd /usr/libexec
> >     # cpio -i < /dev/fd0

> My apologies.  This all seems a little scary, and does not sound proper...

Absolutely.  It is both scary and improper.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Savill Way