FreeBSD 4.9 Can't find second CPU ...

horio shoichi bugsgrief at bugsgrief.net
Thu Dec 25 17:32:27 PST 2003

On Thu, 25 Dec 2003 18:54:26 +0200
"Vahric MUHTARYAN" <vahric at doruk.net.tr> wrote:
> Hi ,
>
> 	I checked LINT it said that I have to disabke I386 AND I486 from
> kernel .. I marked those values from GENERIC and LINT too and recompile it .
>
> But I can't see any changes ....
>
> Then I checked my messages file ....
>

> Dec 25 20:30:33 freebsdcgp /kernel: FreeBSD/SMP: Multiprocessor motherboard:
> 2 CPUs
> Dec 25 20:30:33 freebsdcgp /kernel: cpu0 (BSP): apic id:  3, version:
> 0x00040011, at 0xfee00000
> Dec 25 20:30:33 freebsdcgp /kernel: cpu1 (AP):  apic id:  0, version:
> 0x00040011, at 0xfee00000
> Dec 25 20:30:33 freebsdcgp /kernel: io0 (APIC): apic id:  4, version:
> 0x000f0011, at 0xfec00000
> Dec 25 20:30:33 freebsdcgp /kernel: io1 (APIC): apic id:  5, version:
> 0x000f0011, at 0xfec01000
>
> Dec 25 20:30:33 freebsdcgp /kernel: SMP: AP CPU #1 Launched!
>
> And this is my sysctl out ....
>
> freebsdcgp# sysctl hw.ncpu
> hw.ncpu: 2
>

> But when I run top utulity there is only one CPU there ..
>
> Now I will try cvsup RELENG_4 ... Maybe I can handle it ...
> Does anybody have advise ?!
>
> Vahri__...

You seem to have missed the remaining, Mandatory, lines in LINT...

# SMP OPTIONS:
#
# SMP enables building of a Symmetric MultiProcessor Kernel.
# APIC_IO enables the use of the IO APIC for Symmetric I/O.
#
# Notes:
#
#  An SMP kernel will ONLY run on an Intel MP spec. qualified motherboard.
#
#  Be sure to disable 'cpu I386_CPU' && 'cpu I486_CPU' for SMP kernels.
#
#  Check the 'Rogue SMP hardware' section to see if additional options
#   are required by your hardware.
#

# Mandatory:
options         SMP                     # Symmetric MultiProcessor Kernel
options         APIC_IO                 # Symmetric (APIC) I/O

There are other such as ACPI if you want to try.

horio shoichi