need learning direction suggestions on using editors

Zhang Weiwu weiwuzhang at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 25 00:48:13 PST 2003

Hello. I have been using the vi that comes with FreeBSD for more than a
year. I now can manage to use lots of vi features except the tag mode which
I don't know clear about its concept (perhaps because of my bad English).

Now I think vi is not sufficient. I hate to type "!perl %" each time I edit
and re-try my perl script, and I'd like to load related files quickly. (say
load a included php file when I see it is being included.)

Should I advance to vim right now or emacs, or is it that I didn't dig into
vi deep enough to release its full power? I wonder how many programmers are
still using 4BSD vi (compare to enchanced vi's)? Maybe none? Maybe many?
I know very few about editors other than vi, if I'm going to learn another
editor now, I wish I can be using that forever, and I wish the editor have
good L10N (esp. Chinese). I do some Java program, php and perl program but
not C, and I'd likely to do these kind of program in the coming years, so
what is the best editor for my kind?

I'd like the editor's style to be accepted by readline so I can use
commandline and editor in the same way.

Thank you!