group members can't modify files even though 775 set

Uwe Doering gemini at geminix.org
Wed Dec 24 00:21:56 PST 2003

Seamus Abshere wrote:
> Dear freebsd-questions,
>
> I want all members of the "webmasters" group to be able to modify my web
> documents directory /www.
>
> Here's my user, a webmaster:
> [...]
>
> But this happens when I am logged in as sabshere:
>
>> $echo "whatev" > index.html
>> -bash: index.html: cannot overwrite existing file

I think this has nothing to do with file permissions.  Instead, the
'noclobber' option is probably enabled in your bash settings, so the
shell refuses to overwrite existing files.  Find the directive 'set -o
noclobber' in your shell's startup files and comment it out, or if this
behaviour is the default, try to override it with 'set +o noclobber'.

Hope this helps.

    Uwe
--
Uwe Doering         |  EscapeBox - Managed On-Demand UNIX Servers
gemini at geminix.org  |  http://www.escapebox.net