Question on PS/2 Wheelmouse through KVM

Scott W wegster at mindcore.net
Tue Dec 23 17:22:13 PST 2003

Hey all.  Strange but not totally surprising behavior, anyone have any
ideas?

System:
IBM Netfinity 4500R
1G RAM
2x 667MHz PIII CPUs
Logitech Trackman Wheel PS/2
Mouse and KB through Belkin 8 port rackmount KVM

Running recent 5.X current
SMP kernel

When I was running the mouse via USB/not through the KVM, the middle
(wheel) button worked fine, as did the wheel after a bit of tweaking on
moused and the X config file.

Via PS2 and through the KVM, it appears there's nothing I've found yet
that will enable the wheel, although the wheel 'button' itself works.

Running moused in debug mode in a terminal using -z4 shows buttons
numbered 'normally' 1-3 from left to right and gives corresponding
output for each button being depressed...however, scrolling the wheel
gives no output, which I'm assuming it should be doing for a positive or
negative movement value.

The same setup works fine, mouse wheel included, through the same KVM to
another SMP Linux system, which has run RHAS2.1, 3.0, and now WhiteBox
Linux (free 'clone' of RH3ES), without any issues, so it doesn't appear
to be the KVM, although I've seen historically that BSD seems to have
more than it's share of KVM input issues....

Any ideas on what to try next?  Opera in X without a scroll mouse is
like Windows claiming it's secure- it's just wrong :-(

Scott